Sphere of Influence
Here are some highlights from the article:
- High-quality ceramic balls are ultra-smooth, resulting in a bearing with very low coefficient of friction.
- Low friction leads to a longer lifespan.
- Ceramic bearings need lubrication. “A high-quality ceramic bearing will work better than steel in the absence of lubrication and have a longer lifetime than a low-end ceramic, but if you want the most out of your ceramic bearing you must lubricate them,’ says Martin Banke of CeramicSpeed.
- High-quality ceramic balls are very stiff so don’t deform as much under load as steel, which improves resistance to wear and increases stiffness in the entire system.
- Ceramic balls are lighter than steel equivalents.
- While the overall weight difference it makes to your bike is negligible, lighter ball bearings spin faster, reducing friction and improving rolling resistance.